The original Charbonnel et Walker shop opened in Mayfair in 1875 and it has remained on Bond Street ever since. A bastion of tradition, all of their chocolates are still handmade to the original recipes of Madame Charbonnel, who founded the company in partnership with Mrs Walker. Their products are of the finest quality and fans of the brand have included Princess Diana, Sir John Gielgud, Noel Coward and Lauren Bacall.
The problem for them, was that their website looked like it hadn’t changed since 1875! Dated, unattractive and offering poor usability it made the brand look stale. Charbonnel et Walker may prize tradition, but that doesn’t mean their online home should be stuck in the past. We were brought in to improve usability, drive more traffic to the site and increase revenue.
WHAT WE DELIVERED
- We put a big emphasis on marketing. That meant looking at the brand anew and working out how to bring their traditional messages to a new and younger audience.
- So we created a new lifestyle section – ‘sweet talker’, full of fun blogs, competitions and games.
- We overhauled their social media activity, drawing attention to landmark moments like 100 years of great packaging
- We gave the site a clean, more contemporary design that retained traditional elements, like the ornate Charbonnel et Walker logo and the Royal ‘By Appointment’ crest
- We made buying through the site a pleasure, just like their in store experience. Customers can now shop by occasion or collection and find all the information they could possibly need about corporate gifts
- We re-told the story of Charbonnel et Walker in an engaging and accessible heritage section, reigniting affection for the brand